Wednesday 16 September 2009

A meal deal in Scotland is different from a meal deal in London. Why?

I was in London last week, and bought a meal deal at a major supermarket.

Now, I have been looked at meal deals before, but this one was different, and I am interested to know why, and I wonder too if I could buy it up here in Scotland. The meal deals I have seen in Glasgow normally consist of a sandwich, a bottle of water or a fizzy drink, and a bag of crisps.

The one in London was a sandwich, a pack of fresh fruit (pineapple) and a bottle of real orange juice. Giving me 2 of my 5-a-days and many fewer calories. Now, is this because Down South they have got the health message?

So I had a look round the aisles in another big supermarket, and I was surprised at the contrast with Scotland. Down South they don't have even half the space allocated to fizzy drinks, biscuits and sweets.

It seems to me that our local supermarkets are pandering to our traditionally bad eating behaviours, rather than helping us to change and improve our health. When I am working with clients to lose weight, one of the key things we work on is what to buy in the supermarket. If you have it in the house, you will eat it.


www.carolinebrowntherapy.com

No comments: